BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, September 6, 2009

NOT SO FUNNY

Black comedy or dark humor are terms used to describe movies that are violent yet funny at the same time. I’m a fan of some of these movies. “Trainspotting”, “Pulp Fiction”, “Fargo”, “Heathers”, “American Beauty”, “Secretary” & “Die Mommie Die!” are just a few good examples of this genre done right.

However, they don’t always turn out as promised. Below are some examples of movies that I went into thinking they were gonna be funny, but really were NOT. I felt completely ripped off. Nothing worse than sitting down for a relaxing evening, popping the DVD in – thinking you’re gonna laugh & you don’t! Movies like this make me want my money back!

HAPPINESS (1998)– Sometimes you can judge a movie by the cover. “Happiness” is NOT one of those movies. I saw & enjoyed “Welcome to the Dollhouse”. I thought this would be right up my alley. I really enjoy Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I think he’s a fantastic actor. I rented this one night interested to see these various stories of suburbia played out. This is one of those movies that you only need to see once. I guess the movie as a whole was alright, but sometimes I just don’t like to see certain things in movies. Pedophilia & rape are 2 of those things. This movie has all that & more! Don’t rent this thinking you’re gonna LOL a lot & aren’t easily offended. This movie is bleak & unforgiving. I really think it should’ve been classified as a drama.

IGBY GOES DOWN (2002)– Jeff Goldblum was really good in this movie about a really dysfunctional family. He’s been good in other movies too (Jurassic Park & The Fly). But he played Igby’s drug using, bed-hopping, abusive godfather role to the max! This movie is about a boy (Igby – played by Kieran Culkin) who’s very unpopular. Not just at school, but at home as well. His mother sends him off to military school where he’s beaten w/ broomsticks. Not really my kind of humor! This was compared to “Catcher in the Rye”. I think people are too quick to use that to compare teen angst. This movie was ok, yes. However, like other movies mentioned in this rant, it’s not really a ha-ha comedy. Can we call these “Dromedies” maybe?

BAD SANTA (2003)– Billy Bob Thornton has been able to do 2 great things since coming to Hollywood…”Sling Blade” & Angelina Jolie. That’s it. I know others disagree w/ me on this pick, but I really didn’t find anything funny about an alcoholic who dresses up as a jolly old elf. Billy Bob is a thief, blah blah blah…I got about ½ hr into this & shut it off because I just didn’t care about any of the characters or anything else that was going on around them. Feel free to watch at your own risk. Personally, if I want a funny movie about a grown man in an elf suit, it’ll be Will Ferrell in “Elf”.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (2006) – The previews showed this as a fun-filled family road trip to take Abigail Breslin to a beauty pageant. “Vacation” was a fun-filled family road trip…LMS is certainly not! Steve Carrell is funny as hell. He just got done “40 Year Old Virgin” (which I previously identified as a “gut buster”). I thought for sure this movie would be funny. Boy was I wrong! There were a few parts that made me chuckle – like the whole scene with the van rolling along & everyone trying to jump inside. Other than that, it wasn’t very funny. Everyone had their own issues. Let’s put ‘em all together in a VW bus to travel cross-country & hilarity will ensue! No, I don’t think so. The characters put in good performances, but this is just another drama marketed as a comedy because a funny guy was in it. I think they did the same thing w/ Adam Sandler in “Punch Drunk Love”. There’s another movie that wasn’t very funny.

CHOKE (2008) – Yet another dysfunctional family unit! I don’t even know where to start on this one. I guess because I loved “Fight Club” & expected the same thing out of this movie. I didn’t get that – at all. Here’s another movie where they show the 3 funny parts in the commercial/trailer & you’re duped into thinking this is a comedy. Nope, sorry, didn’t do it for me. My hubby & I sat down for a Saturday movie night thinking we were gonna see something funny. The first 5 minutes were so promising! It went downhill from there. It follows the story of Victor, a sex addict/con man son of Anjelica Huston who has lots of her own issues (how Victor got his I guess) & is now suffering from dementia. I had a grandfather w/ Alzheimer’s. This really touched a nerve & I wasn’t enjoying it one bit. Anyone who’s gone through that w/ a loved one knows what it’s like to see someone slip away from reality. It’s not pleasant or funny. Maybe it put me in Victor’s shoes too much & hit too close to home for me. But, even so, I watched the whole thing expecting it to get better and/or funnier. It didn’t. If you enjoyed “Fight Club” & want to watch something similar, watch “Fight Club” again. Just be sure you don’t tell anyone about it.

SUNSHINE CLEANING(2008) – Dysfunctional families seem to have a common theme in these dark “comedies”. Here’s another movie (like “Choke”) where they showed the funny bits in the commercial/trailer. I really thought they could do a lot w/ the subject – 2 sisters go into the crime scene clean-up business. That really could’ve been funny – but it wasn’t! Really, I should've known better as this movie was done by the same folks who did "Little Miss Sunshine"! Amy Adams played 1 of the sisters – supposedly the “normal” one. However, she’s got a kid by a guy that she’s been having an affair w/ since high school, her sister’s an even bigger loser & their dad is always making promises he can’t keep. I thought I would like this movie, but by the end (which had me crying) – I was so mad that I’d been suckered again!!! I don’t ever think I will trust another movie w/ “Sunshine” in the title again!

Next time you’re going to choose a movie, choose w/ great caution. Otherwise, you’re gonna put that DVD in & be seriously disappointed. Good luck!

0 comments: